Friday, November 5, 2010

A Classic Children's Recipe Redone---Nature's Way



Growing up, who didn’t love Rice-Krispie Squares? Parents and children of all ages will have fun re-creating this classic recipe, adapted from the Vegetarian Times cookbook.

These bars are perfect for breakfast, school lunches, and after-school snacks. They also work well as a pre- or post-workout boost, and make for beautiful gifts when wrapped up individually and presented in a cookie tin or gift bag.

Feel free to use whatever dried fruit you like in place of the raisins and cranberries. Easily change this recipe into a dessert by omitting the dried fruit and stirring in ½ cup of semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips and ½ cup of chopped walnuts. Add the chocolate while the honey-almond butter mixture is still warm, and the chocolate will melt and turn the squares dark! (Psssttt! I just made it this way a few minutes ago...and it is DELICIOUS!)     

Nature’s Rice-Krispie Squares

7 cups whole-grain or rice puffed cereal

¾ cup dried cranberries

¾ cup raisins

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

¾ cup honey

¾ cup almond butter

2 tablespoons earth balance vegan butter

Stir together cereal, dried fruit, and cinnamon in a large bowl.

Put honey, almond butter, and earth balance butter in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 1½ minutes, or until hot and the butter melts. Stir well; then pour over cereal mixture. Stir to coat.

Dampen hands with cold water. Press cereal mixture firmly into a 9 by 9-inch baking pan (or two smaller pans), re-wetting hands if necessary to keep mixture from sticking. Freeze 30 minutes.

Cut into 12-18 bars (depending on how large you would like them), and store in the refrigerator up to 5 days.   

*I don’t know who figured out that they last this long in the fridge. Every time I made this recipe, the whole batch is gone by the next day. J     


6 comments:

Crystal Moore said...

This recipe made me hungry just reading it! Your site looks lovely. Well done :)

Susie said...

Thank you, Crystal. :)

Jeni Perkins said...

I'm going to have to make these! The other day I made actual rice krispy treats and after watching all the butter & marshmallow melt into an awful goo I felt kind of guilty serving them to my family! These sound good & will relieve my guilt! :)

Susie said...

Thanks Jeni!

If you would like to make these as a dessert, omit the raisins and cranberries and add semi-sweet chocolate chips and chopped walnuts (as mentioned in the description).

My dad couldn't believe that they were "healthy" when I gave him one.

Even my older brother, who NEVER eats dessert, tried one made with chocolate and loved it!

I'd love to hear what your family thinks of the recipe. :)

Unknown said...

I really like what you've done with your blog. It's actually inspired me to make some changes to make some improvements to the site i've been working on... Oh and those healthy rice krispie treats were pretty good too... :)

Susie said...

Thanks Ryan! I appreciate that. I'll have to check out your site soon.