Friday, March 29, 2013

Finishing the "Master Cleanse"

Day 13. 

I don't know what else to say. I am just so happy that I finished the Master Cleanse! 

Yesterday I was able to eat a little bit. As I explained in my previous post, you must make soup on your 12th day and drink the broth and eat some of the vegetables for you evening meal. 

Wow. Did. That. Stuff. Taste. Good.

Today I ate more of the veggies in the soup and had some of the rice and lentils that were in it as well. SO amazing. 

I can't wait to dig my teeth into something tomorrow--my first OFFICIAL day back to regular healthy eating!

Don't get my wrong: I wasn't DYING on this cleanse. Far from it! I had my MOMENTS (believe me) when I wanted to quit...but I also knew that I would be taking a risk of making myself sick if I started to eat something solid to quickly. 

I decided that I am going to treat myself to TWO meals out this weekend. For lunch tomorrow, I will probably go to "The Natural Cafe," and get their veggie enchiladas (something I've been wanting throughout the cleanse), and Sunday, I will most likely go to Maral Cuisine in the evening for some great Persian food!

And, although these are healthy restaurant choices for this weekend, I will splurge ONCE or TWICE next week to reward myself...I think there may be a really nice ice cream cone in my future...and possibly some Mac and Cheese! But, after that, it's back to doing most of my own healthy cooking!!

I am determined to be more prepared by spending one afternoon each week making soup and other things I can use for quick lunches and dinners!

ANY-WHO! I am RAMBLING. Here is the great soup recipe from yesterday! I just keep adding more water to it before I put it back in the fridge, since I am drinking mostly the broth right now. :) It tastes better as the days go on!

ENJOY. :)

Feel free to play around with using different veggies...I realized that celery would have been a nice addition, but forgot to include it. I used mostly organic ingredients when making this soup.

This is a FABULOUS recipe for making at the start of the week and using for quick lunches and dinners! Just get a nice rustic loaf of bread! (Assuming you're not coming off the master cleanse... :)

Vegan Lentil Vegetable Soup

Olive Oil (1/4 cup)

Garlic (4 cloves, minced)

Yellow Onions (2 large, chopped)

Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper (to taste)

Rosemary (about 1 tbsp, minced)

Russet Potatoes (4 large, cubed)

Carrots (4 large, thinly sliced)

Zucchini (4 medium-sized, thinly sliced)

Canned Tomatoes (if desired)

Green Lentils (16 oz: one package, or approximately 2 cups)

Brown Rice (1 cup)

Water (8-10 cups, depending on preference)

Start by prepping all your veggies, as this will make the process much easier. 

Heat olive oil over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add garlic and stir for about 15 seconds, or until the garlic starts bubbling and becomes fragrant. 

Do not let the garlic get brown or get burned!

Immediately add the onions and stir for a few minutes, or until they become translucent. 

Add 1/2 tsp of sea salt and 1/2 tsp of freshly ground black pepper (or to your taste). 

Then, add rosemary, potatoes, carrots, zucchini, and tomatoes, and stir for about 5 minutes, or until all the vegetables have become coated with the olive oil, herbs, and spices. 

Add the tomatoes (if using), lentils, brown rice, and water, and stir to combine.

Cook the soup on the highest heat until it comes to a boil. Then, bring the soup down to medium heat and let it simmer, covering it with a lid.

After 40 minutes, put the soup on the lowest heat, keeping the lid on and letting it "get happy" until it's time to eat!

The longer the soup sits, the better it will taste!

No comments: