Saturday, October 8, 2011

Keeping Your Diet Clean with Nutrient Dense Foods

Do you love the thought of preparing fresh, healthy food in your kitchen each day?

I know I do! But I admit that this is not always my daily routine.

As much as I LOVE cooking, the thought of spending time in the kitchen often comes much easier than actually  getting in there and cooking!

I’ve found that the less I cook, the more packaged foods I eat (even if they are “healthy” packaged foods).

Lately, I have been making a concentrated effort to pack my meals with nutrient dense foods instead of healthy convenience foods.

Here are a few things that have helped me, and will help you eat more nutrient dense meals:

-Balance your plate: fill half or more with veggies and the rest with some protein and whole grains

-Eat both raw and cooked vegetables: If you don’t have time to cook vegetables, don’t skip out on them! Just grab some raw carrots, snap peas, or cucumber!

-Get creative with combinations: experiment with vegetables, beans, and nuts and seeds you don’t often eat

-Build meals around seasonal vegetables, instead of making them the afterthought

By eating nutrient dense meals, not only will your body get all of the nourishment it needs, but you will feel full longer and lose cravings for processed foods!

Give it a try! Here are a few sample meals and snacks that are built around nutrient dense foods:

·         A banana with almond, peanut, or sunflower seed butter (my favorite snack!!)

·         Sautéed kale with olive oil, garlic, and red chili flakes; served with grilled fish  

·         Fresh sliced cucumber, celery, carrots, and snap peas--dipped in hummus

·         Oatmeal mixed with frozen blueberries, cinnamon, almonds, and ground flax seed

·         Shrimp, tossed with basil pesto, broccoli, pine nuts, and lemon zest

·         Black beans, corn, and spinach—served atop a sweet potato
(Above picture: Salad made of sautéed kale and broccoli, raw tomatoes and mixed greens, chickpeas and brown rice, drizzled with red wine vinaigrette)

What is your favorite nutrient dense meal?

No comments: