Friday, December 17, 2010

A Vegetable and Egg-Stravaganza!

Seeing as I have not eaten eggs in about two years, making the following recipe was quite the “egg-stravaganza” for me.

Yes, I was vegan: for almost 2 years---until about a month ago when I started eating fish; and now for the first time today, eggs.

My mom just bought me some cage-free eggs (I don’t know how much of a difference this REALLY makes, but hey: if it makes me feel a little better and gets me to eat eggs, then I’ll buy them) and as I noticed the broccoli and red onion in the fridge, I started to get some inspiration.

While I was making this, my older brother snuck up from behind me and said: “What are you making?” To which I replied, “I don’t know…some vegetable egg thing…” Hence, the name of the recipe below, which he suggested I use as the title. J

You might want to make a stop at Trader Joe’s to make this recipe (you’re not surprised, I know), unless you don’t mind using another kind of tortilla.

I am partial to Ezekiel tortillas, as I am to Ezekiel bread, but any tortilla will work in this recipe. You could use a whole wheat flour or corn tortilla for a variation.

Feel free to play around with different vegetables; broccoli and red onion are only suggestions. You could even add your favorite hot sauce or salsa at the end of the recipe.

This recipe makes a single serving, but it can be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc. as needed.

Some Vegetable Egg Thing

2 (preferably cage-free) eggs

1 small head of broccoli

¼ red onion, sliced

½ tablespoon olive oil

1 Ezekiel tortilla (or regular whole wheat tortilla or 2 corn tortillas)

Salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and red chili flakes to taste

Crack eggs into a bowl and add about a ¼ teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper. Whisk with a fork until combined.

After washing the broccoli, chop into small pieces and steam for about 5-8 minutes, or until tender.

Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan for about a minute and add sliced red onion. Sautee red onion until soft, then add the steamed broccoli and a few sprinkles of red chili flakes.

Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside.

Add the beaten eggs and turn off the burner. Let the eggs cook from the heat of the pan for a few minutes, until slightly underdone.

Heat the tortilla over a burner on medium heat until warm, and place on a large plate.

Transfer the vegetables and eggs to the tortilla and serve immediately with your favorite salsa or hot sauce.


No comments: